The Omberg is situated in Östergötland on the shore of Lake Vättern. This mountain is Sweden's most species-rich forest landscape with many rare natural environments. The bold beech forest on the slope of Vättern, the giant oaks in the pasture landscape and the colourful mowing meadows are just three examples.
A mile-long steep bank characterizes the mountain to a large extent. Visitors can enjoy the fantastic view from Hjässan - Omberg's highest point -, walk among giant oaks and more than 100 years old fir trees or be enchanted by beautiful orchids in Omberg's limestone moors.
Nature and Geology
Both - Omberg's vegetation and its animal life - are as varied as its highly remarkable geological conditions. The Omberg is a so-called eyrie and is surrounded by distortions on all its sides. The mountain itself consists mainly of granite. In the southeastern part there is also some gneiss at the age of 1.8 billion years. On the side of the mountain facing Vättern, above all slate and sandstone emerges, which was formed 850-600 million years ago. North of Omberg's granite mass, near Borghamn, limestone is in an almost horizontal deposit. Limestone has been mined there for a long time, and this is still the case today. The undisturbed bearings show that the dislocations at Omberg must be younger than the Ordovician (before 485.4 - 443.4 million years between Cambrian and Silurian).
The name Omberg is made up of the old Nordic "ama" (for fog, smoke) and mountain. Its meaning is thus "mountain of fog" or mountain, surrounded by haze and fog.
The tract around Omberg has been inhabited for a long time, and the pile dwellings at Alvastra bear witness to this. Man has left many interesting traces here.
During the turbulent period of migration around 400-500 AD, three so-called "Hillfort castles" were built on the Omberg. The Hjässaborg in the south is the largest with a 450 m long and 1.5 m high wall. Borggården is the best preserved castle. It is located about 2 km north of the Hjässatorget. Drottning Ommas Borg is the smallest and is located on the northwestern tip of the Omberg.
In the 12th century the Ombergstrakt became a centre for the Sverker dynasty. At about the same time a nobleman from Östergötland, Sverker, was elected king of Sweden. During his reign, the monastery was founded by Alvastra. The monastery was abandoned after King Gustav Vasa had confiscated the properties of the church for the state. During the monastery's time, at least five farms were set up on the Omberg, including Stocklycke, Elvarum and Höje. In connection with the creation of the state enclosure Stocklycke became the seat of the animal keepers and Höje domicile of the inspector.
During the 17th and 18th centuries, the Omberg was one of Sweden's largest state enclosures, i. e. the king's private hunting grounds. These were difficult times for the local farmers. They were forced to maintain and guard the 21-kilometre fence around the enclosure so that no wolf or lynx could enter the area. At the same time, there was great poverty and poaching was a great temptation. The punishments were harsh if one was caught: beating with the rod, imprisonment or punishment in a fortress of the crown. The enclosure was closed in 1805. The majority of the harts were transported to Stockholm's animal park - the Omberg became Kronopark.
In the spring of 1859 a state forestry school was established in Höje, and at the same time the use of the Omberg forest began. During the forestry school epoch, a number of exotic tree species were settled on the Omberg, such as silver fir and larch, in order to increase the students' knowledge about foreign tree species. The forestry school was closed in 1935. The traditional forestry on the Omberg continued until 2003, when the Ecopark was inaugurated.
Ecopark is a larger coherent forest landscape with valuable nature and great nature conservation ambitions. With its 1700 hectares of land, the Omberg is one of Sveaskog's smaller ecoparks, but at the same time one of the most visited. Every year around 350,000 people visit the legendary mountain with its bold nature and many cultural monuments.
Show map on full screen.
1. Ecopark Centre Omberg
The Ecopark Centre in Stocklycke is a good starting point for a visit to the Ecopark, nature walks, hiking trails and guided nature and culture walks start here.
2. Stocklycke äng
Stocklycke äng is a meadow with fantastic flowers. Sunroses, common milkwort (swed. Jungfrulin) and primroses grow here.
Stocklycke. [from Ödeshögs hembygdsbok]
3. Omberg/Stocklycke Youth Hostel
At this place there was originally a farm, which belonged to the monastery in Alvastra. The youth hostel is one of the oldest in Sweden and is located in the middle of the beech forest of Omberg, just a few hundred metres from Lake Vättern.
Staircase at Stocklycke Harbour
4. Stocklycke Harbour
Until the 1950s, the port was of great importance for the economy of the Omberg region. Wood from forestry on the mountain was shipped from here to the industries on Lake Vättern. In only a short distance south of the harbour there is a visitor-friendly cave on the lake shore.
5. Rödgavels grotto
Rödgavel's grotto is the largest of fifteen caves on the steep bank of the Vättern. Water runs through the ceiling into the lake. Legend has it that Queen Omma mourns her injured suitor. In cold winters, the tears of Queen Omma freeze to long icicles in the cave. The ice formations take on the shape of the gnomes, trolls and also the medieval monks who had sought shelter in the cave. Rödgavel's grotta extends twenty-one metres into the mountain and has a ceiling height of 1.2 metres. She can only be reached by boat.
Beech forest nature reserve
6. Beech forest nature reserve
The Beech forest nature reserve is a beech and noble leaf forest on the slope to Lake Vättern. Here at the Omberg, beech tree is found its northernmost habitat in eastern Scandinavia. The nature reserve is home to the oldest and strongest specimens.
7. Västra Djurledet
In the first half of the 17th century, a state enclosure was built on the Omberg. It was surrounded by a 21-kilometre-long and about four-metre-high gärdesgård, which was maintained by the local farmers. Names such as Södra and Västra Djurledet (southern and western animal path) and Brottsledet (stone quarry path) are remnants of this period and refer to openings in the fence.
8. Ellen Keys villa Strand
Ellen Keys villa Strand is located in an inviting spot on Vättern, surrounded by beech forest. This is where the writer Ellen Key (1849-1926) lived during her last period of life. The house was a meeting place for important artists and writers of the time. Guided tours take place here from May to September.
Alvastra, 599 93 Ödeshög
0144 330 30
for single visitors, 1 - 8 persons. For larger companies and groups of travellers, special tour times apply.
1 May–15 May: Saturday, Sunday and on holidays 11 and 14
16 May–30 June:
Tuesday-Sunday 11 and 14. Midsummer eve closed.
1 July–15 August:
Tuesday-Sunday 11, 12, 14 and 16r
16 August–31 August:
Tuesday-Sunday 11 and 14
1-30 September: Saturday, Sunday and on holidays 11 and 14
The Sverkersgården is a medieval remnant from the time of King Sverker and the powerful Sverker dynasty that ruled Sweden in the 12th century. Here at this place were the remains of a crypt church. However, the square was used long before Sverker's time.
10. Ombergs Turisthotell
Ombergs Turisthotell is a classic hotel from 1914 and is the same age as Gyllenhammar's pension in Borghamn. Together with the former tourist hotel in Borghamn they are witnesses of the development of tourism on the Omberg.
Alvastra monastery ruin. [from Ödeshögs hembygdsbok]
11. Alvastra Monastery
The monastery of Alvastra was founded in 1143 by French Cistercian monks. The Holy Birgitta received her most important revelations here. During and as a result of the Reformation in the 16th century, the monastery was dissolved after King Gustav Vasa had confiscated the properties of the church. The stones of the buildings were taken away and reused for the construction of the castle in Vadstena and Per Brahe's buildings at Lake Vättern. The Alvastra monastery became a ruin.
12. Pile dwellings
The pile dwellings of Alvastra are Sweden's only pile dwellings of the late Stone Age and one of the oldest prehistoric sites dating back to about 3100 years before Christ's birth. The pile dwellings are interpreted as a central place of ritual importance and with a relatively short useful life. Nowadays there is not much to see above the earth, but there are signs describing the complex.
13. Södra Djurledet
Here at Södra Djurledet was one of the five gates that allowed access to the state enclosure.
View from Makersbergen on Dags Mosse
14. Dags Mosse
The extensive moor between Tåkern and Omberg was originally a bay of Lake Tåkern. Peat is extracted here in an ecological way. The moor is drained to the south through the Ålbäcken, which flows into the Vättern.
Pentecostal excursion to the Hjässatorget. [From Ödeshögs hembygdsbok]
15. Hjässan and Hjässaborgen
The Hjässan, the highest point of the Omberg with a height of 263 metres, is one of the most popular excursion destinations on the Omberg. It offers an excellent view over Vättern, Tåker and the Östergötland plain. On the mountain there are remains of the Hjässaborg, the largest of Omberg's three hill forts with a massive 450-metre-long stone wall, which originally could have been several metres high.
On the way to Sweden's tallest fir tree
[ ] Sweden's tallest tree
Sweden's tallest tree is a silver fir. It is 49.5 m high (measured in 2016) and has a circumference of 3.30 m at the foot. The fir tree was planted by Omberg's Skogsskola (1859-1935) only a stone's throw away from the school.
16. Höje Lilläng
The best meadow flora of the Omberg can be found on Höje Lilläng. Together with the provincial government of Östergötland, Sveaskog restores the former meadows by traditional mowing and grazing.
17. Mörkahålkärret's nature reserve
Mörkahålkärret's nature reserve consists of a lime moor with several different kinds of orchids, such as fly orchids and marsh orchids, as well as many other plants that like calcareous soil.
The steep slope, which is well worth seeing, drops down almost vertically in the Vättern. Along a deep gorge it is possible to descend to the lake. Limescale deposits create a mosaic-like pattern in the slope.
19. Per's stone
The giant Per from Tiveden has left his trail (s) here in the form of a boulder, Pers Sten, at a curve of the Lake Road. Per threw the stone across the Vättern in order to destroy the church bells in Heda, whose ringing bells bothered him.
20. Norra Sjövägen (Northern Lake Road)
The Norra Sjövägen begins in Stocklycke and runs as a one way road to Borghamn. From it you can enjoy overwhelming views.
Trail at Borggården
The best-preserved of Omberg's three hill forts is located in a secluded location about two kilometres north of the Hjässatorget. The fort itself is relatively small and lies on a ledge facing east.
Renstadsfällan is a flowery natural pasture landscape where primroses bloom in summer.
23. Älvarums udde
Älvarums udde is a bold place at the Vättern with a barbecue site, wind shelter and swimming and fishing opportunities.
24. Storpissan's nature reserve
The Storpissan Nature Reserve is a forest rich in fir trees with many old trees. The forest has many deadwoods and stumps in different stages of decay, attracting a number of insects, lichens and birds. In spring, Storpissan's outflow in the Vättern forms a powerful stream.
25. Omberg's giant oaks
The giant oaks on the Omberg are in an area of sixteen hectares. About forty trees are several hundred years old. By keeping the area open and with the help of grazing animals, Sveaskog restores the pasture landscape that existed 150 years ago. There are numerous unusual insects living in trees, including the rare hermit beetle.
View from Marbergen
Marbergen offers a beautiful view over the surroundings, for example the nature reserve of Storpissan.
The Vitlerbäcken is a lime-rich brook, where a lichen inventory was carried out.
28. Västra Väggar
Västra Väggar offers a fantastic view over the Vättern.
The nature reserve consists of a mosaic of different nature forms such as lime moor, wet meadows, dry limestone meadows, open pastures as well as deciduous and coniferous forests, often with a marshy character. The flora is rich. About ten species of orchids can be found, as well as a lot of other plants that require a calcareous environment. In addition, Ostmossen with the nearby Ombergsliden forms one of Sweden's most distinguished places of residence for large butterflies. Almost 300 different species were counted here. That is one third of all butterfly species in Sweden.
Open during winter. Café open on weekends until end of october 11-17. 013 81000.
Youth Hostel Ödeshög
Open 1 may - 30 september. Book via
0141-20 99 00 or .
Hotel and Restaurant. Open all year round.
Youth Hostel Stocklycke
Youth Hostel 2019: Open from 18 February until 3 November. Youth Hostel 2020: Open from 5 March until 1 November. Café 2019: Open on weekends from 2 September until 13 October 11-17. Café 2020: Open on weekends and public holidays from 21 March until 1 May 11-17, open daily from 1 May until 23 August 11-17. 0144-330 44.
Open from Easter to October.
Kafé på Skedet
Open thursday-sunday 11-16 from 4 Juli until 11 August 2019.
30. Ombergsliden's nature reserve
Ombergsliden is mainly known for its rich orchids. Here one encounters species such as fly orchid, spotted orchid, broad-leaved helleborine, marsh helleborine, listera ovata, early marsh-orchid and the rarely encountered gymnadenia odoratissima. In the bogs of the nature reserve, which are rich in minerals, unusual snails such as the vertigo geyeri can be found.
Hl. Hjärtas Kloster (Convent of the Sacred Heart)
31. Hl. Hjärtas Kloster (Convent of the Sacred Heart)
The Convent of the Sacred Heart is located on a beautiful natural slope on the Omberg hill, which was inaugurated in 1997. Here the sisters live a monastic life according to the rules of St. Benedict with the Virgin Mary as mother and example.
Drottning Omma is said to have lived in the northernmost castle, just above Borghamn. A girl from the village was abducted into the castle to be raised to the new queen after the old one. Drottning Omma always wore a mask. Granmar, who had lost his fiancée to Omma, visited her and killed her just to find out that it was his fiancée he had killed. The exchange had already been completed.
The Vallgatan runs east of Sjövägen from Drottning Ommas Borg to Höje. It is closed to general traffic.
Drottning Ommas Borg
33. Drottning Ommas Borg
Drottning Ommas Borg is the northernmost and smallest of the three hill forts on the Omberg from the migration period of 450-550 AD. Thanks to the steep slope to Vättern, the castle was impenetrable from the west. A double wall with palisades provided protection on the east and northeast side. There are many legends surrounding the castle. Verner von Heidenstam (1849-1940) wrote the poems "Bygdeborgen" and "Borgen susar", which deal with Queen Omma.
Traces of the state enclosure
Here at the quarry and the old road to the Omberg, the north-eastmost opening was in the fence of the royal enclosure. The gatekeepers' houses were not demolished until 1946.
The cemetary was built in 1860 by the Kronoarbetskorps and was used until 1894. There are 80 soldiers buried there, as well as three children who died of cholera.
Limestone quarrying in Omberg's quarry
36. Omberg's (Västerlösa) limestone quarry
Limestone has been used in Sweden since the beginning of the 12th century. Here in Borghamn, the Cistercian monks began to break limestone for their monastery in Alvastra, which was consecrated in 1143. Since then, the quarry has been used continuously to this day. Other important buildings using limestone from Borghamn were the monastery church in Vadstena, the Götakanal, Karlsborg Fortress and the National Museum.
37. Borghamn's harbour
The port of Borghamn was built from 1810 and was enlarged again in 1825 to facilitate the despatch of limestone to the construction sites at Göta Canal and Karlsborg. Before that, there were only simple jetties closer to the Omberg. The port is classified as an emergency port and therefore cannot be used as a guest harbour.
38. Fishing Museum
The Fishing Museum is housed in the former laundry building of the Kronoarbetskorps and displays equipment and fishing methods from Borghamns history.
39. Borghamn Strand
Borghamn Strand opens april 2019 for accomodation, conferences and weddings in the former premises of the youth hostel and rural household school. The complex was a penal colony at the time when the quarry and port were owned by the Kronoarbetskorps, a military disciplinary corps.
Storgatan 28, 592 30 Vadstena.
599 80 Ödeshög
All year round
June-Aug (in the harbour storage, Hästholmen harbour): daily 11-19
Opening hours 20 May - 13 September:
in the harbour storage, Hästholmen harbour